This outfit has been getting a lot of love, so I wanted to take some time to talk about it.
I would love to act like I spent a lot of time and careful planning putting this one together, choosing only the most perfect blah blah blah, no, I’m going to stop you right there.
I found this stuff in my closet. More specifically, I found the shirt tossed on top of a cardboard box of clothes that we never unpacked from when we moved into this place a year ago. The shrug was in the same box. The skirt was in my drawer, the one I never remember to put things in after we do laundry, and it’s a piece that I love but was really struggling with because it pairs with almost nothing.
Except, apparently, this.
I grabbed the belt and the necklace later because I knew exactly where they were, but my point is this: shop your own closet. For real, shop your own closet. Spend some time going through the things that you already have and making combinations. Have your own runway show in front of your bathroom mirror and see what looks good and what looks terrible. This outfit? I’m pretty sure the shrug was $15 at Old Navy. The top? $5 at Old Navy. The belt came from one of those mall prom stores and the necklace and skirt are both Candie’s. As in, Candie’s, from Kohl’s. This is like a $30 ensemble tops, here, people. Except it cost me nothing. Because I’ve already owned all of these pieces for at least a year!
I’m the kind of person who always likes looking for new things and feels like once I pair things together they’re married that way. I bought that skirt to go with another shirt, but you know what? I think it looks kickass with the pink cami.
That’s the other thing, too: I read a lot of fashion magazines. And by reading, I mean mostly looking at the pictures because I have an unusual appreciation for Elle Romania which is entirely in a language that I only understand about 20% of. (It’s a work in progress.) But that’s it, you can look at the pictures in these magazines and online and see what looks good together and you can look in your closet and say “Hey, I have that.”
I feel like having a kickass outfit that makes you feel beautiful and confident is only like 25% owning the clothes and accessories. The other 75% is being willing to experiment, knowing what’s in your closet, and trying something just to see how it looks.
At least, that seems to be working pretty well for me.